And here, through the briefs and links, is where you can find out the many things to see and do in and around Groton.
Groton had its precarious beginnings when John Tinker followed Indian Trails from the Bay area and settled near the mouth of Nod Brook on the Nashua to set up his trading post to do business with the Nashaway Indians. The area was known as Petapawag, an Indian name for swampy land. Adventuresome families soon followed, on foot or on horseback, and found it a good place for the necessary farming and fishing.
In 1655, this trading post evolved into a formal settlement called The Plantation of Groton, which encompassed all of what is now Groton and Ayer, nearly all of Pepperell and Shirley, a large part of Dunstable and Littleton, as well as smaller parts of Harvard, Westford, Nashua, NH, and Hollis, NH. It was named in honor of one of the original Selectmen, Dean Winthrop, who was born in Groton, Suffolk County, England.
In 1676, during the King Philip’s War, Indians attacked the town and burned down all but four garrison houses. The surviving residents fled to Concord and other safe havens returning two years later to rebuild the town.
As Groton’s population grew so did many supporting industries including a soapstone quarry, a large hop-growing industry, a brick factory, a saw mill, a grist mill, and a pewter mill which produced tea pots, plates, cups, and buttons.
West Groton lies within a “V” formed by the Nashua and the Squannacook rivers. The old red brick Groton Leatherboard factory still stands on the Squannacook River as an example of the late industrial period of a New England mill village. West Groton has its own post office, fire station, and water department. In the past, other areas of Groton were designated as east, south, and north, but only West Groton’s name survived.
The Lost Lake area was created at the turn of the century through damming nearby streams and flooding an existing field. It was popular as a summer resort for city residents and today both permanent and summer residents live there.
To learn more about Groton and its history visit wikipedia.org/wiki/Groton,_Massachusetts or townofgroton.org/History
The most of places are in the walking distance from The Inn and we recommend to visit:
The Groton Public Library, Located on Main Street.
OPEN TO ALL!
Town Clock, Located at the corner of Main Street and Legion Road. The 90-year old clock, given to the town by Dr. Samuel Greene is located in the clock tower of the Old Baptist Church.
Governor Boutwell House, Located on Main Street. Built in 1851, the same year George S. Boutwell became Governor of Massachusetts, it is now the Groton Historical Society Museum. Various periods of furniture and artifacts are on exhibit. The Old Burying Ground, Located on Hollis Street. Visiting hours – dawn to dusk. It is fascinating to stroll through and read the sentimental epitaphs and to note the quaint designs on the markers. Rubbing is allowed by permit only.
Open by appointment only. No admission fee.
First Parish Church, Located at the corner of Main Street and Rte 119. This church was originally built in 1755 as a gathering place. The church bell was cast by Paul Revere Foundry. De Menil Gallery Groton School MA The De Menil Gallery at Groton School is a public gallery that opened in October of 2001. Designed by Perry Dean Rogers/Partners of Boston, this state-of-the-art gallery has approximately 900 square feet of exhibition space. The Gallery is located at The Dillon Art Center at Groton School. Open weekdays 9:00 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily except Wednesdays and on weekends 1:00pm to 4:00pm. The Gallery is free and open to the public. For more information call 978 448 3363 or visit groton.org.
Helene’s Stables are located about two miles North from the Inn (ask for detailed directions at the Front Desk). Helene is offering riding lessons and children would especially enjoy petting Ponies.